Unique Units are a set of special units each nation has. They usually replace standard units (except for the Elephant units used by the Persians and Indians) and often receive some bonuses over the units they replace, such as improved attack strength, increased hit points or decreased unit cost. And, of course, they also add to the flavor of a nation.
Unique units often come as a set of upgrades to replace standard units of several ages. The British, for example, use their own set of unique Foot Archers from the Classical Age to the Gunpowder Age, which then upgrade to their unique Gunpowder Infantry and Modern Infantry afterwards:
- Classical Age: Longbowmen (replaces Archers)
- Medieval Age: King's Longbowmen (replaces Crossbowmen)
- Gunpowder Age: King's Yeomanry (replaces Crossbowmen)
- Enlightenment Age: Highlanders (replaces Musketeers)
- Industrial Age: Black Watch (replaces Riflemen)