Timber is one of the six basic resources in Rise of Nations. It can be gathered from the Ancient Age on and is mostly required to construct buildings and many of the wonders, but also to build units and to research technologies.
Timber is used throughout the entire game to produce units, research technology, and build structures. The main use for Timber is in the construction of buildings, but is also used in technology upgrades. In particular, Timber is the only resource required to upgrade Knowledge production, but these technologies rapidly become very Timber-intensive. At the same time, Commerce Research, essential for a robust economy, also requires a large amount of Timber. Some units, such as archers, boats, and cannon, require Timber for production.
Gathering Timber[edit | edit source]
Timber is primarily gathered by Citizens working at a Woodcutter's Camp. Woodcutter's Camps have to be placed near forests and provide a limited number of worker slots, depending on the number of nearby 'tree groups'. Each Citizen increases the gather rate by +10, i.e., will gather 10 Timber per 30 seconds. Upon completion of a Woodcutter's Camp a nation also receives a one-time bonus of 5 Timber per worker slot.
Building a Lumber Mill in a city increases the production output of all Woodcutters Camp's within that city's economic radius by a basic 20%, i.e., the gather rate of each worker becomes +12 (instead of +10). This productivity bonus can be increased to 50%, 100% and 200%, by researching building upgrades at the Lumber Mill.
Rare resources[edit | edit source]
The gather rate of rare resources in friendly (i.e. own and allied) territory can be increased by researching the Taxation line at the Temple (+50%, +100%, +200%, +300%) and by building the Porcelain Tower (+200%).
Nation powers[edit | edit source]
- The American Power of Innovation: Receive Timber for every non-Scout Barracks unit currently not garrisoned.
- The French Power of Leadership: Start with a free Lumber Mill and have additional worker slots in every Woodcutter's Camp (useful in regions with few trees). Their Commerce Limit for Timber is increased by +10%.
- The Iroquois Power of Nation: Receive +2 Food from every citizen working at a Woodcutter's Camp.
Wonders[edit | edit source]
- The Temple of Tikal increases the base gather rate of Timber by 50% and the Commerce Limit for Timber by +100.
- The Colossus increases the Commerce Limit for Timber by +50.