|“||Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke
Science Research is one of the four technology disciplines available at the Library. It unlocks many economic buildings and upgrades, and reduces research costs and times of all subsequent research.
Like all Library research, Science research has a total of 7 levels to research. Each level researched...
- ...decreases research cost and time for all Library technologies (including Age Advancements) by 10% per Science level ahead.
- ...increases Line of Sight for all scouts (+2 tiles per level), cities (+2 tiles), and Lookouts (+3 tiles).
- ...increases resource bonus from Ruins by +25 per level (26 for the Spanish).
Science 1 (Written Word), along with a Dock, allows land units to travel to other landmasses on Sea maps. Science 6 (Electronics) reveals the entire map for the player; Fog of War effects still apply. Science 7 (Computerization) permanently reveals the player's own territory and allied territory. Science research is also required to unlock the Granary, Lumber Mill and Smelter, as well as unlocking their production technologies, including the University.
Laws of Nature
- Papyrus reduces Science Research cost by 25%. However, this does not work with the "yellow" future technology Artificial Intelligence.
- The Chinese Power of Culture: Receive a 20% discount for all Science research.
- The Greek Power of Philosophy: Receive a general 10% discount on all Library research cost (except for Knowledge) and research 100% faster.
- As mentioned in the trivia section of the Library page, researches have alternate titles depending on the starting and ending ages. For Science Research, they can be seen here.